I went to my normal prenatal appt. on Thursday July 23rd and the ultrasound revealed that there was low amniotic fluid so my midwife said I needed to be induced. I had an appt. to begin that process at Sutter at 5:30 that night. My water broke at 3 in the afternoon and contractions began right away. My induction appt. was canceled and I was thrilled! However, my midwife still wanted me to go into Sutter to do a precautionary non-stress test.
At 7:30 Rob and I went to Sutter to complete the non-stress test. I was hooked up to the monitors and our nurse said my blood pressure was a bit high and wanted to do a blood test, again just for precautionary reasons. She also noticed that my contractions were erratic, coming 4 or 5 in a row with no break and then a few minutes rest. (This was because my body was working hard to get the baby out!)
My lab results came back from the blood test and showed that my liver enzymes were through the roof. They were so high that the nurse didn't think that they were accurate and had them retested! The normal range is 11-19 and mine was 383! So, at that point it was clear we were not leaving the hospital any time soon. One thing led to another and they discovered I had preeclampsia and not just preeclampsia, but the extreme spectrum called HELLP syndrome. The weird thing is I had NO symptoms that might indicate this in advance. I shocked them all!
The only cure for preeclampsia is to birth the placenta (and the baby of course!), which is what was making me sick, so things were rushed along. I was soon hooked up to an IV and given pitocin, fluids, and magnesium sulfate. The pitocin was given to speed up the labor in order to get that placenta out as soon as possible, the magnesium was to treat the symptoms of HELLP Syndrome and the fluids were to keep me hydrated. Then I had an epidural to lower my blood pressure and help with the pain. We also had a fetal monitor connected to the baby's head and I was given oxygen, which also helped the baby's health. There were more cords and needles and tubes than I had ever imagined! Finally Cooper's heart rate was dropping when a strong contraction would hit, so they turned off the pitocin to allow him to recover.
About this time my next set of lab results came back and my liver enzymes went up even higher in to the 400's. At this point we had to get the placenta out to help me recover, but doing so naturally was causing major stress on Cooper, so we decided to proceed with a cesarean section. I was too sick and the risk of me have seizures was increasing every moment we waited. They quickly got everyone together, wheeled me down the hall, and Cooper was born quite soon after that (Friday at 6:16am to be exact). I remained on some strong meds for 48 hours to help heal my sick body so a lot of that time was a blur to me! I looked at some pictures and had no recollection of when they were taken! My midwife came to visit me a few days later in the hospital and she said she was really worried about me because I had an obstetrical emergency that she never expected. I know God had all the pieces fit together exactly how they were meant to go because I never worried at all! I had an amazing sense of peace through all the changes that occurred that night. I'm also so grateful to everyone who helped get Cooper and me through the whole experience: the Sutter Nursing staff (especially Nicole), Dr. Christie (who preformed the c-section), Meredith (my on-call midwife), Deidre (my wonderful Doula) and my encouraging and strong husband Rob. Thank you all!!!
All in all, I am thrilled to have Cooper in my arms. He already looks so different from day one. We are home from Sutter and adjusting to life with a little one. It is amazing how your heart can feel such strong emotions towards someone else so quickly! What a blessing!
Here are some new pictures:
Cooper and me!
Hello World!
Cooper gives Mimz a smile:
Daddy and Cooper:
Zonked out:
Ready to go home:
Lamb ears:


4 comments:
hello, little Rob. My word he looks so much like his daddy. Janelle, what a crazy story. I don't even know how on earth you can recall those details. Praise God for his goodness and grace (and sweet little Cooper):) Love to you guys.
can we get a side by side shot of dad and baby, it is hard to tell the difference! I am so excited for you guys and have been praying for you and hope to come visit soon. Love you all! Can't wait to meet him!
Oh Janelle, he is just precious! C-section babies come out so perfectly ~ and glad everything worked out so perfectly for you. Can't wait to see him in person :)
What an amazing story and an amazing God who brought you guys through it all!! So glad to see everyone healthy and happy today. He is such a little cutie!
Post a Comment