Cooper

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Hank

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 11, 2008

Let's talk A's

I was all for moving Scutaro - Always thought the guy was a scrub...


The Haren move, I understood, but didn't initially like all that much


Swisher, that hurt - gotta love his attitude and potential



These were my initial reactions, but as it all starts to sink in I realize that long-term, this is what's best for the Oakland A's. Half of the pre-trade roster was already comprised of Rookies and 2nd year players (i.e. Buck, Suzuki, Gaudin, DiNardo, Cust, Meyer, the list goes on...). A large portion of the other half was the players that had or have chronic injuries (i.e. Chavez, Kotsay, Crosby, Harden, etc.).

Scutaro, Haren and Swish were part of the few injury-free + established players in Oakland. In other words they are the few players that have value in the baseball market, the kind of value that allowed Beane to restock the farm system. Of the Nine players we received from the two big trades I would be shocked if we did not see 3+ studs by 2010. Looking at these prospects age and abilities, some of them are VERY good and could contend on the roster in the 2008 season. Others will need time in the minors.

Here are some quotes from Beane himself on the trades that also gives me reassurance:

"I got off the plane from the winter meetings, I said to David, 'Who are we kidding?'" Beane said. "We can't let hope be our strategy here. That's what we're doing. ... We can't waste another year. If this needs to be done, it needs to be done."

"Our status quo as we stood going into the season was mediocrity at best," Beane said. "That's my opinion. If anything we're taking a step back with the idea we have a chance to build something very good for a long time. ... The cost of indecision for us probably would be a bigger mistake."


In essence, what Beane is saying is that he could have pulled a couple more mediocre players in from the FA market and tried to contend in 2008, but look at the competition. You've got Anaheim poised to take the AL West and up-and-coming Seattle not far behind. Then you've got Detroit, New York and Boston all with dominant rosters. Do the A's seriously have a shot at the West or Wild Card? I think it would have been a longshot.

Another thing I've heard in various articles and discussions of these trades is the idea that Beane did these things for financial reasons. I don't believe this is the case. Beane had Haren and Swish signed for 4 and 5 years respectively and for affordable contracts. If he wanted to unload salary he would have moved Chavez and Kotsay.

Speaking of Chavez and Kotsay, why doesn't Beane offload them? Well, I think their current value is too low to get anything respectable in return. However, if either or both have hot starts and are injury free in the 2008 season don't be surprised if Beane moves 1 or both of them at or near the trading deadline. This goes for Harden too.

So, will this be it? I think not. I think we're going to see BOTH Blanton and Street get offloaded before the season starts and a lot more A's fans will be bummed about it. Both of these players fall into that established (enough) and injury free (OK, Street had an injury, but he's so young that it is not a major concern) category, meaning they still have the kind of value necessary to pull in a few more sweet prospects.

Another reason that I think this is happening now rather than next year or the year after has to do with timing on the Fremont Stadium. These moves (Haren, Swish and potentially Street, Blanton) will not serve the A's well at the Box office, there are going to be MANY empty seats in 2008. In fact, the team is likely to have a couple of AWFUL seasons in 2008 and 2009. However, even with playoff bound teams the A's have not done well in recent years in attendance at McAfee Coliseum. I think Wolff has decided to cut his losses and focus on the future and "Cisco Field" in Fremont. If the ballpark is approved and built, and these prospects produce in the same year (2011 anybody?), the revenue potential is huge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Barton!!! Big reason why Swisher was expendable, since Barton also plays 1B and CF.

I agree on all your assesments. People around here are going crazy, how soon they forget the Hudson/Mulder deals. Sure we don't have anything but Meyer left from the Hudson deal, but the timing was right then as it is now. Can't wait til spring training to see what the 2 Gonzaleses and De Los Santos (led the entire minor leagues in K's last year!) do...